The Five Most Expensive Colored Diamonds Sold at Auction
In just ten years, more specifically from 2009 to 2018, the three main fancy-colored diamond categories – pink, yellow and blue – exhibited a price increase of approximately 123%. The colored diamond market is growing exponentially and investment in the commodity has demonstrated consistent returns. The highest-priced gems are collected like fine art – the next comparable category that’s boasted a sharp rise in investor demand in the past ten years as well.
Although the yellow category has dropped a bit in recent years due to an increase in supply and drop in demand, pinks and blues remain in high demand and natural resources are dwindling and mines soon closing. Read more about the most iconic fancy-colored diamonds ever sold at auction!
1. The Winston Pink Legacy; $50,375,000 at Christies Geneva, November 2018
- Cut-cornered rectangular-cut, 18.96 carat, fancy-vivid-pink loose diamond
2. Mouissaieff; $20,470,000 at Christie’s Hong Kong, May 2018
- Pear-shaped, 8.01-carat, fancy-vivid-blue, internally flawless diamond pendant necklace by Moussaieff
3. Bulgari; $18,312,500 at Christie’s New York, December 2018
- Cushion modified brilliant-cut, 8.08-carat, fancy-vivid-blue, diamond ring by BVLGARI
4. The AI Diamond; $13,833,499 at Sotheby’s Hong Kong, October 2018
- Step-cut, 5-carat, fancy-vivid-blue loose diamond
5. Heart-Shaped Pendant; $9,537,500 at Christie’s New York, December 2018
- Heart modified brilliant-cut, 15.56-carat, fancy-intense-pink diamond pendant necklace
Whether you have a classic Tiffany & Co. diamond engagement ring, or a laboratory-certified fancy blue diamond unmounted, New York Loan Company has the expertise and knowledge to assist you with evaluations for loan or purchase. Our friendly and professional staff trained at the Gemological Institute of America are prepared to offer competitive estimates and cash in minutes. For more information, please call 212-997-5626 or email email@example.com today.